Why Choose Nexus for Your Child?
We Look Beyond the Behaviors to Overcome the Barriers to Success
Your child’s challenging behaviors —excessive crying, pushing away, tuning out, withdrawing, not eating, inappropriate sexual acting out, or outbursts of anger — could be the result of trauma.
Children who experience abuse, neglect, exposure to domestic violence, the violent death of a loved one, community violence, or other emotionally disturbing occurrences are more likely to exhibit these behaviors. In fact, traumatic childhood experiences have been linked to issues that can negatively impact an entire lifetime1:
- Emotional problems
- Behavioral problems
- Poor socialization
- Risky behaviors
- Substance abuse
- Criminal behavior, and
- Long-term mental health issues
At Nexus, we look beyond the behavior to understand and overcome the underlying barriers to success. Each child receives an individualized plan that focuses on 5 main areas:
- Treat the underlying trauma that influences your child’s behavior
- Treat the mental health conditions affecting his or her emotions
- Help your child find success in school, home, and community
- Prepare your child for employment through vocational training
- Work with your family to individualize a treatment approach that works for you and your child
We’ve been helping children and families find lasting success for more than 40 years.
We see positive change happen every day.
Let us help you.
1Complex Trauma in Children and Adolescents. White Paper from the National Child Traumatic Stress Network Complex Trauma Task Force. 2003. Downloaded 3-21-16: http://www.nctsnet.org/nctsn_assets/pdfs/edu_materials/Complex¬Trauma_All.pdf